I’m writing a novel (again) and figure I’ll be at it for a long time. Why not blather on about it? OK!
This newest novel is bigger and has a lot more research than I’m used to (I’ve already taken Field Trips), so I’m approaching the whole thing differently, and I intend to blog about it all. I like talking about writing because I think about it too much, and once I’ve said a thing out loud I tend to let go of that particular fixation, or at least concretize it, so I can clear my head. The talking, or in this case blogging, is either a warm-up or a cool-down, part of a larger routine I’m establishing, so I’m able to keep up discipline and make steady progress, week after week.
Which really isn’t difficult anymore, truth be told. I haven’t worried about the fabled blank page in half-a-decade; I’ll eventually post about that, too. I’m going to cover my writing life in general, or rather in specific, day-by-day as I write the new book. Why bother, aside from anchoring a daily routine? I’m alone all day, and when I’m working on a piece of writing nobody’ll see for 2+ years, it’s nice to post immediate junk and imagine somebody reading it. Plus it’s that or talk about writing to people I know, and that’s difficult to do, what with the whoosh of roaring fire as they light themselves aflame.
To organize my thoughts, here’s a list of stuff I’m going to cover, in a slipshod manner, in future posts:
1. How I easily stopped worrying about the blank page, of which far too much is generally made; the cure involved crumb cake
2. A brief history of the last four novels I wrote, and their fates
3. My pursuit of publication, which has been comically awful but has, of late, changed dramatically for the better
4. How I’m writing this new novel, and why I’m enjoying it so much
5. The Scheherazade Experiment for testing plots
6. My oft-derailed daily schedule
7. Many other things, such as yard animals, baroque music, inexperienced attempts at home repair, lifting weights, growing pumpkins (spring/summer), professional boxing, weather, Colonial America, and other crap
I will also post pictures.