Twenty questions for authors, none about writing. Some questions are not in the form of a question. (Previous Q&As may be found HERE.)
This week we have AMELIA GRAY, author of THREATS, Museum of the Weird, and AM/PM. (See below for purchase links.)
AG: ”FIFTY SHADES OF GRAY”
2. Satan hoofs up and says two words to you. What are they?
AG: WHERE-WE’RE-GOING WE-DON’T-NEED-ROADS
3. Give us an A+ summer song.
AG: “CRAZY IN LOVE”, BEYONCE FEAT. JAY Z [Youtube]
4. What is the worst injury you’ve ever sustained?
AG: AH YES IT WAS THE MIDDLE SCHOOL DANCE AND I HAD JUST BEGUN MY MAGNESIUM SUPPLEMENT REGIMEN.
5. Form a supergroup using any four musicians, living or dead, that would be thoroughly awesome to experience, for better or worse.
6. What was your best Halloween costume?
7. Tell us something you built.
AG: A SHORT STORY EMPIRE
8. If you could safely have one non-domesticated animal as a lifelong companion, what would it be? (Fantasy creatures are allowed.)
AG: BOBCAT GOLDTHWAIT
9. What do you like to grow?
10. Name a thing you love that nobody else you personally know also loves.
AG: ‘THE AWAKENING’ BY KATE CHOPIN
AG: POACHED BITCH
12. What’s the worst thing about your favorite holiday?
AG: ORAL THRUSH
13. You’ve just been turned into a lousy superhero. Who are you, and who is your nemesis?
AG: I AM ORAL THRUSH AND MY NEMESIS IS ANTIBIOTICS
14. Name a thought that has profoundly scared you in the night.
AG: “WHEN YOU DIE YOU’LL BREATHE OUT JUST LIKE THIS”
15. You’re stinking rich. What’s the first thing you add to your home?
AG: A FUCKING SECOND BEDROOM
16. What are you up to this weekend?
AG: WEST HOLLYWOOD PRIDE WEEKEND + THE BIRTHDAY PARTY OF A THREE YEAR OLD CHILD
17. Which color makes you feel the most comfortable? The most anxious?
AG: SEA GREEN FREAKS MY SHIT OUT; IVORY, ON THE OTHER HAND,
AG: GYNECOLOGICAL MODEL
19. I mean honestly: aren’t you better off living without ___?
AG: MEXICAN WEED
20. James Cameron discovers something new at the bottom of the Mariana Trench. What do you hope it is?
AG: HIS DEATH
Amelia Gray is the author of AM/PM (Featherproof Books) and Museum of the Weird (FC2), for which she won the 2008 Ronald Sukenick Innovative Fiction Prize. Her first novel, THREATS, was published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux. Her writing has appeared in Tin House, American Short Fiction, McSweeney’s, and DIAGRAM, among others. Find more at ameliagray.com or on Twitter @grayamelia.
Web site: Official Author Site
Buy her books:
Museum of the Weird